Jim bought me this book for Mother’s Day (he got it NEW on eBay, though :-) ). It just arrived today. I knew I was getting a new Triumph Herald book…but I didn’t know anything about it…and I’m impressed! TONS of pictures!!! TONS of information!! A little expensive but…well worth the price. I haven’t read it yet, obviously…but I have skimmed through it a few times…enough to know…I’m so reading it cover to cover. I think I’ll even post bits of information I think are interesting along the way. There is a whole section called “Running and Restoring Today’s Triumphs”…which is all about restoring the cars…awesome.
First interesting bit…there were only 6,876 Triumph Herald 948cc Convertibles made in 1960 (my year), 1,386 in 1961, and -4 made in 1962 (there is a “guess” of an explanation of the -4 but I won’t get into that…haha)…making a total of 8,258. Pretty rare back then…and EXTREMELY rare now!
But they are a “relative” of the Herald so…I like them for that.
I spent a couple hours in my Herald last night while Jim worked on the MG. I haven’t actually gone through it myself…but I managed to find the seats and put them in the correct places so I could sit and clean the pieces that are actually still connected to the car. There aren’t many still connected but that’s ok…because to do a proper restoration…we’d have to take it apart anyway.
These are knobs that control different things. “Heat”…which obviously controls the heat somehow…that’s all I got for you. “Panel”…which we think is for the panel lights? but we aren’t sure yet. “Wiper”…which are either on or off…nothing in between. Cars have changed quite a bit in 51 years…haha. But that’s part of the fun of this…is learning what all these things do :-)
I also cleaned the door panels…but I didn’t take pictures of them…they are still icky.
Triumph Heralds are pretty rare…the early convertibles like ours are EXTREMELY rare so…we would like to keep her as original as possible (some things that came with the car aren’t original…we don’t think…so…we’ll do our best). Most of the parts and such will be original…as they are now…just restored. Regardless of the horrible “paint job” (yay for primer orange/red)…and the fact that the interior is completely NOT put together…it’s actually quite complete. The parts came with it…just not attached to it. I mean…the front seats aren’t even bolted down. The engine and all that is completely together (or was…before we started taking her apart…Jim even had her running for a few seconds :-) ) and that’s all original.
Not only are most of the parts going to be original (as original as possible…we are replacing brushes and wires and such…duh)…we were able to find out the original color…and are going to bring her back to her former glory. This is actually the color she is…anywhere the awful primer isn’t…like the inside of the trunk and under the badges and such.
Also plan on making the interior as original as possible…if we hear back from triumph-herald.com/. We are thinking, based on our research, that the interior was black…black seats…carpet…etc. As there isn’t a shred of carpet left…we can’t go by that. We are thinking…based on the style…that the front seats aren’t original but…the back bench obviously is…and it’s black. Plus…gray exterior…usually went with black interior. But…we shall see.
Like I said…we’ve been collecting various things for my car.
Now…let me see if I can get these right…
Wiper Motor brushes, courtesy of Moss Motors.
Bumper end caps (I think that’s what they are called)…you can probably tell where they go in the picture above. I have two badly dented ones and Jim found two on eBay for a really good price! Just need some shining up and…ta-da :-)
We can now finish some jobs we’ve started…can’t wait!!! (But that’s after the “paying” MG is finished…which should be this weekend.)
Stay tuned to see what we actually do with these parts :-)
It’s in great shape considering how little care it’s gotten…very VERY little rust and most of the parts are accounted for. We have made little progress since we got the car because each time we started a project, we found we needed pieces/parts to complete the project…so it basically just lead to a list of things needed. It’s gotta start somewhere. We did manage to restore the distributor but, as you can see, we need to replace the wires…
It didn’t surprise us at all that we needed parts! Anyone who starts a restoration of this magnitude and expects NOT to need anything is…well…I’ll just say it…too stupid to be doing a restoration! But it’s not like you can just go to the store and pick up parts of the Herald so…
This fall/winter, Jim has been collecting parts/pieces and we are all set to start some REAL work on her.